Keep the following suggestions in mind as you think about divorce:
- Do not make large purchases that will add to community debt. Try to keep all assets liquid.
- Start to stash back money now for emergencies before and after your divorce. Traveler's check are a fairly safe way to do this.
- Put a freeze on joint credit card accounts.
- Keep working to secure your newly single future.
- If you have your paycheck automatically deposited into a joint account, set up an individual account, and have the deposits made to it.
- Keep all individual assets separate. These include inheritances, workers compensation, personal injury awards, items that you brought into the marriage, and gifts given to you individually.
- Have any necessary mechanical repairs done to your automobile to insure that you have reliable transportation after the divorce.